Monday 20 February 2012

天使之音-短宣隊員的分享 - Vivienne

A lot of you may know, I'm not a member of EFC so its been such a privilege to be able to join in this mission trip. I've made friends, experienced a lot things and learnt so much about God and myself during this time. Actually God taught me a lesson even before the mission started while I was still here in Sydney. At the end of last year I was busy in the process of job hunting and I really wanted to secure a suitable job before the year ended so that I wouldn't have to worry about having to start job hunting and preparing for interview again when I return from Taiwan. I wanted this assurance before I commit myself to the mission trip. However time passed and I still hadn't found a suitable job and needed to decide whether to join the mission.

That was when I decided to write down a list of reasons why I wanted to go on this mission, and another list for why finding that job was so important to me. And I was convicted after some time of struggle that I needed to seek first the kingdom of God and that what I wanted out of this mission would grow me and help me to know God more. That was when I decided to go on the mission.

One week after I made this decision, God did provide me with a very good job offer; as the company wanted me to start a few weeks after the mission ends without me having to request for it, so I was able to go on mission, spend time with family and come back in time to start the new job. So I'm really thankful for the way God looks after the different areas of my life and how He provides a way when I trust in Him.

A lot happened in those 17 days of mission in Taiwan. In short, the trip was amazing! We've been amazed at what God has been doing in Taiwan and the people He is raising up in the nation to proclaim Him as Lord. We've been encouraged to see how God had already gone ahead of us in our mission trip, to prepared the hearts of those who we would meet. We got to see people hearing the Gospel for the first time and others receiving Jesus as their personal Saviour. We also got to witness our God working in the lives of the Taiwanese and saw how He never forgets His children, and how He is near to the brokenhearted and the lonely. I recall during a home visitation, after a lady received Jesus as her personal Saviour, she was obviously overwhelmed with God's love as she exclaimed "I am not worthy of this...I do not deserve this!" It is indeed God's love and grace that change lives and His Gospel which save souls.

While there are so many stories to share with you about what God's been doing in Taiwan, I thought I would share 2 personal things I've learnt about myself...and more importantly about God during the trip.

One of the home visitations particularly stood out to me. There was this elderly lady who spends all her time looking after her husband 24/7. He became paralysed after an unsuccessful brain surgery years ago which left him unable to move and communicate. He needed constant care at all times and she has to move his body throughout the day to prevent him getting body ulcers/sores. However this lady herself was having some health issues as well. She goes for kidney dialysis 3 times a week and just found out she had breast cancer. She is also in need of knee replacement soon. They have one son who used to be a doctor but due to some mental breakdown he now spends all his time in his room. They live in this tiny little modest apartment.

Yet despite her lack of material comfort and tough circumstances, we saw that she is able to find joy and strength in God alone. In the apparent emptiness of her house, she allowed Christ to be the one to fill her heart with content instead. That spoke to me very loudly as I live a very comfortable lifestyle filled with so much blessings from God which I am so thankful about, but a lot of times in my life I find it so hard to separate Him from what He gives. I seem to seek His blessings more than I am seeking Him, as much as I find it hard to admit. And I realised that the more I seek and find comfort in what is His (or comes from Him) – the earth and all its fullness, His blessings, His gifts, even His comfort and less I will seek and treasure Him. I learnt that even though what He gives is always a reflection of Who He is but they are not equal. His gifts and blessings are not always required to prove to me Who He is. Even though we were supposed to go and encourage this lady, there is no doubt I was the one more encouraged by her. And I have been reminded that our biggest blessing is found in the person of Christ. To know Him and more of Him and all we can of Him.

Another thing I learnt was that when God is seeking a person, He will not allow my fear or lack of knowledge/experience prevent that person from finding Him. During the mission, we’ve had the opportunity to speak to a large crowd of uni students. I got to strike up a conversation with a rather reserved girl at the corner. I really struggled in my conversation with her as I could just not figure out how or when to start sharing my faith and testimony with her during our conversation. I remember thinking in my head "She's just listening to me out of politeness coz she's too nice, maybe should've picked someone else to talk to instead!" After my rather unnatural/clumsy sharing, I felt she didn't respond to me well and things couldn’t be anymore awkward. After I left, I was sure that I'd never see her again and I shared to my fellow team mates saying how I felt she wasn't at all spiritually open to what I was saying and was probably listening to me out of politeness. The next morning, at the Sunday service, to my surprise, I saw her again as she stood up to be introduced during the new comers announcement session. I felt that God was teaching me that His view and my view on who is spiritually open or who will enter His kingdom is very different and that He is able to be glorified in all of my weaknesses.

And lastly, I just want to praise God for the unity and love in Christ in our team members. It was beautiful and encouraging to see how each of us played a part in the programs and did so with much passion and love. And we could do this because Christ has transformed each our lives personally.

I ask that if you could continue to pray for Taiwan - a country deeply rooted in its tradition and ancestoral and idol worship. And for those we met who were interested in knowing Jesus but not ready to commit their lives to Him. We trust that God's Word will not return empty. And pray for the Christians that we met that God will keep them strong in faith and they have my desire to share their faith with others.










No comments:

Post a Comment